Nobody wakes up in the morning and decides to get into a car accident. That’s why they’re called accidents. But things happen. It’s important that you know how what to do if you get into a car crash in Georgia.
There are certain things you need to do following a car accident. This is true no matter how minor your crash maybe. It’s critical that you make sure you’re okay. It’s also important that you protect yourself should you need to file a legal claim.
Should you get into a car wreck in Fayetteville, Georgia, you need to do the following:
- Call the police
- Seek immediate medical treatment
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Georgia
If you do all of these things, you’ll give your accident lawyer the best chance of getting you compensation for your injuries.
Call the Police After Your Crash
There’s no excuse for not calling the cops after your car accident. You need the officers to come to the scene so they can do an investigation. Some of the things the officer will do includes:
- Prepare a police report based on their investigation
- They’ll get statements from both drivers
- They’ll interview any eyewitnesses
- They’ll check to see if either driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The officer will get license and insurance information from all drivers involved in the crash
Be wary if the other driver asks you to not call the cops. If they do this, there’s a good reason. The following could be going on and you’d have no idea:
- They may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- They may not have a valid driver’s license
- Also, they may not have insurance
- There could be warrants out on the other driver
- The other driver could be in the commission of a crime
- They may be driving a stolen car
The police will get to the bottom of any of these things. Your Fayetteville car accident lawyer will need the police report to prove your case.
Always Go to the Hospital
It’s important that you seek medical treatment immediately after your crash. This is the case whether you think you’re injured or not. You need to get checked out by a doctor.
You’ve to make sure you’re okay. You won’t know if you’re injured or not. Some injuries aren’t very obvious. The doctors at the hospital will do the tests necessary to determine if you’re hurt.
Your lawyer is also going to need to prove you were injured. The best way to do this is to introduce a copy of your medical records in court. If you don’t go to the hospital, the defendant can claim that you weren’t hurt at all. They can also claim that something other than the crash caused your injuries.
Without medical documentation, it may be impossible to get you compensation for your injuries.
Meet with an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Fayetteville, Georgia Today
The last thing you need to do is call and speak with an experienced car accident lawyer at Wade Law Firm. It’s going to take some time to recover from your injuries. The last thing you need to do is deal with insurance adjusters and lawyers.
That’s why you have an accident lawyer – so they can deal with the legal side of things.
Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance adjuster and try to settle your claim. They’ll make sure your claim is filed on time. They’ll also file an appeal if your claim is denied.
Ideally, your case will settle without the need for any legal action. However, your Fayetteville injury lawyer may have no choice. If the insurance company won’t pay your claim, they’ll have to file suit on your behalf.
Your suit will demand the following types of damages:
- Medical bills – You’re entitled to be compensated for any out-of-pocket medical expenses. The defendant will also have to reimburse any third-party providers who covered your medical care.
- Lost Wages – If you missed a lot of time from work, you’re entitled to be paid for lost wages. This includes any future lost wages. If you can’t do the same type of work as a result of the DUI accident, the defendant will be held accountable.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover any repairs or the replacement value.
- Pain and Suffering –You have the right to be compensated for physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
Call a car accident lawyer in Fayetteville, Georgia at today to discuss your case. The initial consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.